Oakland car hire information
Oakland car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in Oakland
Good to know
|Most popular agency||Alamo|
|Most popular car type||Economy|
When to book a hire car in Oakland
Top tips for renting a car in Oakland
- Oakland is an eclectic city full of alternative arts and diverse food culture, with hidden gems sprawled across the city. Whether you are planning on attending an Oakland Athletics ballgame or checking out the long list of art museums in town, renting a car will give you the opportunity to make the most of your time here. Your hire car will also let you explore the Californian wilderness in the Anthony Chabot Regional Park or venture across the bay to the bright lights and bustling metropolis of San Francisco.
- The Oakland International Airport is located only 10 miles south of downtown and has major car hire companies such as Alamo, Avis, Budget, and Enterprise. Once you have viewed the best deals with KAYAK and have chosen your preferred company, pick-up at the airport is simple. Shuttle buses leave every 10 minutes from outside Terminal 2 and will take you directly to the airport’s hire Car Center.
- Be mindful that the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge is a tollway when driving westbound to San Francisco, so, if you are planning on including this in your driving route, be sure to check the conditions of your hire agreement. There is a large number of one-way streets throughout Oakland, so it is best to use a navigational GPS to preplan your drive before taking off.
- Rush hour traffic can be troublesome during the peak commuter periods as workers travel between the nearby cities of Oakland, San Francisco, and San Jose. The morning rush is most evident between 6:30 am and 9 am, while in the evening it is best to avoid driving between 5 pm and 8 pm if possible. The I-80 encompasses the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge and continues further north past Berkeley, so it is recommended to redirect away from this major thoroughfare during rush hour.
- 25% of our users found a car hire in Oakland for €19 or less
- Book your car hire in Oakland at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
- Economy car hires in Oakland are around 30% cheaper than other car types, on average
FAQs about hiring a car in Oakland
How much does it cost to hire a car in Oakland?
On average a hire car in Oakland costs €24 per day.
What is the most popular car hire in Oakland?
Economy (Hyundai Accent or similar) is the most frequently booked car hire type in Oakland.
What is the best car hire agency in Oakland?
Which car hire agencies are at the airport: San Francisco Airport (SFO)?
Which car hire companies will pick you up at the airport: San Francisco Airport (SFO)?
How can I find a car hire near me in Oakland?
Take a look at our extensive car hire location map to find the best car hire deals near you.
How much does a Economy car rental cost in Oakland?
A Economy car hire in Oakland costs €28 per day, on average.
How much does it cost to hire a car for a week in Oakland?
On average hiring a car in Oakland costs €168 per week (€24 per day).
How much does it cost to hire a car long term for a month in Oakland?
On average a car hire in Oakland costs €721 per month (€24 per day).
What type of car is recommended for driving in Oakland?
Since Oakland is one of the most expensive major U.S. cities to fill up on gas, choosing an economical small car will be in your best interest to reduce the price of your trip. Picking something similar to a Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta will provide you with the comfort and space to enjoy your driving while keeping fuel costs to a minimum.
What's the speed limit in Oakland?
Residential or business areas have a speed limit of 25 mph, while highways generally have a maximum speed of 55 mph. Certain major highways such as the I-80 allow you to increase to the maximum California speed limit of 65 mph.
How are gas prices in Oakland?
You can expect to pay approximately $3.62 per gallon in Oakland which is about $1 above the American average. Remember that most hire companies include a condition that requires you to return the car with either a full tank of petrol or the same level it had when you pick it up.
Where are the best places to park in Oakland?
On-street parking can be quite useful, depending on the time of day, and available for just $2 per hour. During peak rush hours such as lunchtime and early evening, it is advisable to look for alternative options such as the 16 city-owned parking lots or private garages.