San Francisco car hire information
|Pick-up location||San Francisco|
|Car types||4x4, Commercial, Compact, Convertible, Economy, Full-size, Intermediate, Luxury, People carrier, Premium, Standard, Van|
|Popular agencies||Alamo, Budget, Ace, Dollar, Enterprise|
Cheap Car Hire in San Francisco
San Francisco car hire reviews and directory
Car hire locations in San Francisco
Good to know
|Most popular agency||Alamo|
|Most popular car type||Economy|
When to book a hire car in San Francisco
Top tips for renting a car in San Francisco
- While driving around the city of San Francisco can prove tricky because of its steep hills and crowded streets, renting a car is a great option for travelers looking to explore other destinations outside the city. Driving is the best way to get to nearby places that are a must in every itinerary, such as the Bay Area, Muir Woods, and Sausalito. For an unforgettable wine tasting experience, drive to Napa Valley, which is only about 50 miles away from San Francisco.
- All the big car hire agencies can be found at the San Francisco International Airport (SFO) Car Rental Center, which is accessible from all the airport terminals by taking the AirTrain Blue Line service. AirTrain stations are located in all the terminals at the airport. There is also a free shuttle service from the SFO hire Car Center to other off-site hire car agencies.
- San Francisco is known for its steep hills, and the city center is filled with packed roads, one-way streets, and expensive parking, so you might want to avoid driving in that area. When parking on one of the city's hills, make sure to turn the wheels towards the curb when the car is facing downhill, and turn them away from the curb when the car is facing uphill -- and don't forget to use your parking brake.
- San Francisco is one of the worst cities in the United States when it comes to traffic congestion. Rush hours can easily add one or more hours to your travel time, so take that into consideration and avoid driving into or out of the city between 7:30 and 9 a.m., and 3:30 and 7 p.m. Because of its geographical features, SF can get quite foggy and windy, so make sure you take extra precautions while driving if the weather conditions aren't great.
- 25% of our users found a car hire in San Francisco for €30 or less
- Book your car hire in San Francisco at least 1 day before your trip in order to get a below-average price
FAQs about hiring a car in San Francisco
How much does it cost to hire a car in San Francisco?
On average a hire car in San Francisco costs €40 per day.
What is the most popular car hire in San Francisco?
Economy (Hyundai Accent or similar) is the most frequently booked car hire type in San Francisco.
What is the cheapest car hire agency in San Francisco?
What is the best car hire agency in San Francisco?
Which car hire agencies are at the airport: San Francisco Airport (SFO)?
Which car hire companies will pick you up at the airport: San Francisco Airport (SFO)?
What is the cheapest car hire location in San Francisco?
In the last 72 hours the cheapest hire car price was found at Alamo 780 North Mcdonnell Rd 94128 (18 kilometres from the city centre).
How can I find a car hire near me in San Francisco?
Take a look at our extensive car hire location map to find the best car hire deals near you.
How much does a Economy car rental cost in San Francisco?
A Economy car hire in San Francisco costs €32 per day, on average.
How much does a Full-size car rental cost in San Francisco?
A Full-size car hire in San Francisco costs €75 per day, on average.
How much does a Intermediate car rental cost in San Francisco?
A Intermediate car hire in San Francisco costs €31 per day, on average.
What is the most popular car hire location in San Francisco?
In San Francisco, cars are most frequently rented at Thrifty 780 Mcdonnell Rd (17.87 km from city centre ).
How much does it cost to hire a car for a week in San Francisco?
On average hiring a car in San Francisco costs €277 per week (€40 per day).
How much does it cost to hire a car long term for a month in San Francisco?
On average a car hire in San Francisco costs €1187 per month (€40 per day).
What type of car is recommended for driving in San Francisco?
A small automatic car, such as a Smart, is the best option because of the city's steep hills, narrow streets, and small parking spots.
What's the speed limit in San Francisco?
The speed limit in the city is 25 miles per hour, but on urban highways it is set at 55 mph, and on rural highways it is between 65 and 70 mph. The speed limit on the iconic Golden Gate Bridge is 45 mph
How are gas prices in San Francisco?
The average petrol prices in San Francisco are a little bit pricey, with the average at about $3.67 per gallon.
Where are the best places to park in San Francisco?
Street parking in San Francisco is scarce, and it is typically metered, has a time limit, or both. Depending on demand, meter pricing can range anywhere from between 50 cents an hour to a maximum of about $7 an hour. Parking garages in and around Union Square and Fisherman’s Wharf cost about $20 to $40 per day. Parking outside the city is recommended, as it is easy to commute by using the BART or Caltrain railway systems.